General Kit list for walking
- waterproof walking boots
- selection of thin, breatheable undergarments (so you can remove them if hot)
- socks which are comfortable with the boots (test them before the weekend and carry plasters!)
- waterproof lightweight jacket with hood
- waterproof trousers to go over….
- lightweight walking trousers (jeans not a good idea)
- energy snacks
- daysack (for carrying energy food, spare clothes)
- water bottle/Camelbak (and flask if you want one)
- torch if possible benighting
- bivvy bag (mountain walking)
Please be aware the wrong equipment can spoil the day for everyone ; the organiser may not allow you to participate if you are not able to wear suitable boots or rainwear or do not have a water bottle.
Check out the weather forecast before you set off and come prepared for the conditions (eg, woolly hat/gloves if cold, sunscreen if sunny, etc).
Specific Walking Kit List
Summer Hill Walking – Suggested Kit List
Winter Hill Walking Clothing & Equipment– Suggested Kit List
Expeditions– Suggested Kit List
In addition to the clothing and equipment listed above for summer hill walking, you will need:
- Large rucksack (45 litres plus)
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat (closed cell foam or self-inflating)
- Lightweight tent*
- Stove + fuel + matches*
- Cooking pans, plate, mug, cutlery
- Food for the required number of days*
- Washing up liquid/pan scourer*
- Personal washing kit + towel
- Toilet paper + trowel/polythene bags
- Torch + spare batteries
- Full change of clothing - for evening/tent wear
*We encourage sharing equipment, thus carrying tasks wherever possible, please ask you activity leader or trip organiser if you are unsure about what to bring or need advice on food, etc.