Details (public view):
New Year 2019-2020: Malham Tarn, Yorkshire Dales National Park
This year‘s New Year trip will be held at the Malham Tarn Field Centre which is situated in a stunning location in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The trip There will be opportunities for walking, road cycling and mountain biking direct from the centre, with white water kayaking a few miles away. The centre provides very generous communal accommodation for socialising — we have exclusive use of the centre. The centre has 29 bedrooms, and as usual for the New Year trip there will be no more than 2 people per room, many of the bedrooms are ensuite. The highlight of the trip will be the New Year‘s Eve multi-course meal followed by a dance into the early hours of the next morning. Come and help us celebrate the new decade!
When: 5 days from Saturday 28th December 2019 to Thursday 2nd January 2020
- Walking: There are lots of both short and long walks available direct from the centre; the Pennine Way Long distance path goes through the centre, and Malham Tarn and Gordale Scar are 2 miles to the south. Yorkshire‘s 3 peaks: Pen-y-ghent, Ingleborough and Whernside are 9 miles to the north west
- Mountain Biking: there are lots of local opportunities for mountain biking both locally and further north in the Yorkshire Dales
- Road Cycling: the local roads offer opportunities to travel through stunning countryside, and are quiet, but can be a little hilly!
- Kayaking: there are opportunities for white water kayaking on the Ribble 5 miles away, including Stainforth Force and Calder, and other rivers further afield
- Indoor Climbing: there is a climbing wall at Ingleton 15 miles away
- Caving: there are also lots of caving/pot-holing opportunities -if we can find an activity leader!
- Yoga: there will probably be an opportunity to run yoga classes on some days
- New Year‘s Day Swim: we may organise a New Year‘s Day swim in the lake at the bottom of the garden??????
- Shopping/Chillaxing: as the centre is more isolated than previous year‘s trips, shopping opportunities are more limited than most New Year trips. Settle is 6 miles away and has choice of shops, cafes and pubs. Malham is 2 miles to the south and has pubs and cafes. However, there is lots of space onsite to sit down, relax and socialise
- Pubs: 2 miles away, The Lister and the Buck Inn, slightly further afield is the famous Falcon Inn, which serves beer straight form the barrel
I will get in contact with you in early December to provide further details on the trip, and to organise roomshares, activities and make you aware of the cooking arrangments
Malham Tarn Centre Facilities
- 29 bedrooms, many ensuite, no more than 2 people per room
- Large commercial kitchen
- 2 common rooms, 2 dining rooms, a library, open fires, tv, dvd player
- Free Wifi
- More detailed information here, floorplan
- £167 for 5 nights
- Includes New Year‘s Eve meal (generally 4 or 5 courses, including champagne), bedding
- New Year‘s Eve disco/party
- Will probably include all breakfasts (cooked), and a pizza meal on the first night (dependent on budgeting nearer the time)
- Online bookings start on 1 Sep 2019