The club has a strong and developing road cycling group that is expanding and running rides for all levels of rider.
Inclusive and friendly, it’s about the “group” and making it fun for all members who come out.
The rides and events types we complete are:
- Social easy rides for members new to riding or those who just want to enjoy the countryside and good company on their bikes. These are sometimes called our “Bimble Rides”.
- Weekday evening rides during the summer. Slightly faster, but not a rush, these are to stretch those legs after work and provide something shorter than the weekend rides.
- Saturday or Sunday day rides. These are for the riders who want to do more miles and at a faster pace than the Bimbles. It’s still about the group and often riders progress to these after Bimbles and weekday rides.
- Cycling trips. These are longer touring type rides over several days and longer distances. A nice trip away on the bike. 2017 sees our first “going nowhere” trip. Based at one location we go out each day on loop rides without having to carry our kit but still doing the miles.
- Faster Road rides. Normally evening rides but moving toward day rides for those who do want to go at “pace.” Stripped down to the lightest kit and aiming not to stop as much, these are testing and get the heart going.
We encourage riders to find the ride type that suits them and work up a type if they want to. There’s no pressure to develop but if you want to, other members and the coordinators are here to help.
Rides appear on the calendar and are open to all members to plan ahead or on the forum if the notice time is shorter.
We can advise and assist anyone who wants to try or take up cycling with practical help and direction on what to do.